The buzz around IPL 2026 is speeding up with the BCCI identifying as many as 18 venues to host the ten-team league this year. The announcement is expected to be made after the schedule of the assembly election results in Tamil Nadu, Assam and West Bengal is made official.
IPL 2026: The News
In addition to that, several reports have emerged stating that the board has asked the defending champions Royal Challengers Bengaluru to confirm its home venue for the upcoming saeson given that it might not be possible for them to play their home matches at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.
The reason being the stampede that took place outside the stadium last year, which cause few casualties.
IPL 2026: The Sentiments
Although fans on social media have time and again expressed their desire to let RCB play at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, and the franchise has also put forward various proposals on how the incident that took place last year can be avoided, things seem to be stacked against RCB
Now the BCCI has also come into the picture and has asked the franchise to identify a home base by January 27 for the next season. Having said that, RCB appears to be keen on not leaving Bengaluru.
Also Read: WTC 2025-27: Gill Devises Plans to Arrest India’s Slump
IPL 2026: The Guidelines
For that to happen, RCB will have to meet the guidelines issued by the state government, which involves taking responsibility for not only the arrangements inside the stadium but also for the road outside.
Along with it, restrictions have also been imposed on the usage of the DJ, and a fire bridge unit has also been asked to be put in place.
IPL 2026: The Response
The franchise has also responded sharply to the demands, with resources close to RCB saying that the government is shifting administrative liabilities as it is not willing to take complete responsibility, as reported by NDTV.
RCB has also asked the KSCA to engage in talks with the state government before conveying its final decision to the BCCI.
IPL 2026: What They Said?
The KSCA president, Venkatesh Prasad, clarified that the association is working closely with the state government to get an unconditional clearance.
The former Indian fast bowler added that the responsibility will be on RCB to get the process of IPL forward.
In the words of Prasad, “We are working to get an unconditional clearance from the Karnataka govt to host IPL and international matches at Chinnaswamy by the end of February so that we hand it to BCCI then.”
“Onus is now on RCB to hold talks with Karnataka govt and take this forward, it’s their responsibility to come back to Bengaluru and play and not take the game away from Bengaluru,” he added.
The Venues
Meanwhile, 18 venues are expected to host IPL matches this time, as reported by Dainik Jagran on Wednesday (January 21).
Chennai, Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai (Wankhede Stadium), Kolkata, Ahmedabad, New Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Dharamshala, Visakhapatnam, Guwahati, Jaipur, Bengaluru, Pune, Raipur, Ranchi, Navi Mumbai (DY Patil Stadium) and Thiruvananthapuram are in the race.
